- I agree with the comment I read from someone else that flexibility is essential. Desks and chairs that can be moved around are critical to getting kids organized in groups and working efficiently. Even some space in the classroom that could function as "huddle space" - perhaps a small table or two that 2 or 3 kids could gather around for a short time - would be useful. If we are going to use different methods for different activities and lessons, we need to have space that can accommodate that daily change in structure.
- I also like the mobility of teacher work space. The fact that the teacher tables could be moved around easily and that multiple people could get around the table make it far more useful as a space where teachers can work with groups of kids, either in a teaching or an assessment role. It allows the teacher's space to become part of the teaching and the activity, not a huge beast that sits in the corner.
- Storage space seemed to be a critical component of the design of the CPS schools. There were ample shelves, cabinets, and drawers in each room.
- I think there was a difference between Hughes and Taft/Clark - Hughes was the only school where anyone specifically mentioned that students were proud to go there. There was something special in the building itself. I'm not advocating that we build a castle like Hughes, but I think there is a difference in having something special like Hughes versus having an institutional feeling like Taft and Clark both had.
Critical thoughts from PM:
- Again, the flexibility of space is critical. There are different and defined areas for different tasks and activities, and the tools needed for each was there. I started thinking about it while we were there, and thought that an ideal classroom/learning environment would have space for directed learning, for collaboration, for quiet/individual tasks, and for team work. Also, simple things like having small, mobile white boards in the room that can be used both for brainstorming, working, or presenting ideas without putting forth the time to create something formal.
- I completely agree with Matt's thoughts about the Cowboy Bell - I think that would be an interesting concept to explore not only for the development of the philosophy and concept of the MS (where it is already incorporated), but as an element for the HS to carry on the learning and the style being fostered in the MS. I don't know much about how the Primary division does day-to-day business, but this might be something to explore there as well.
- I think the summarized concept of 21st century skills - collaboration, communication, continued education - are things that we should think about as we develop a philosophy about what we want our schools to be. I especially like the idea of continued education being included in that - both when talking about a student's desire to be a life-long learner and when talking about a student's ability to learn and adapt to new information quickly and efficiently.
- I liked the idea of Design Thinking as a model for how we approach our design suggestions. In order for us to be Human Centered in our design, we definitely need to think about what needs we need to address in our school design for all stakeholders (parents, teachers, students, administrators, community members, colleges, workplaces).
No comments:
Post a Comment